Kindergarten education through genre media
As you may be aware, we have chosen to keep our Dragon home from Jr Kindergarten (Maternelle) this September. This is entirely due to Covid-19. We have nothing but the highest respect for the teachers who are working very hard to keep themselves and the children in their care safe.
We have yet to talk to Dragon’s Kindergarten teacher about the virtual learning that we have signed up for. We hope to hear from them late this week.
I have looked at the Ontario curriculum for Kindergarten and its overall expectations. You can see them here.
To this end, in order to supplement what the teachers will be providing, we will be following a home-based curriculum around a different movie each week. Dragon helped me come up with the movies and ideas for the activities, and is super excited to do these.
I will be posting the weekly lessons here the week before, including any worksheets I plan on printing out.
Each day will include the following:
- Dance (ballet and martial arts on alternate days)
- Music (singing, listening to different pieces, learning piano)
- Crochet on the project she is working on (currently she is making herself a poncho)
- Basic Information about the days of the week and months of the year. You can find the print-outs here.
- Printing words related to the movie of the week (as she already knows how to print individual letters) ENGLISH template, FRENCH template (both in Word; if you want a different format, let me know and I’ll see what I can do) You will need the KG Primary Dots font in order to see these properly. The weekly questions will be PDFs, so you don’t need the font for those, only if you want to make your own.
- Counting objects/math-type activities related to the movie of the week, including printing numbers TEMPLATE for the counting/printing sheet You will need the KG Primary Dots font in order to see the printing part properly. Again, the weekly worksheets will be PDFs, so you won’t need the font unless you choose to make your own.
- An activity outlined in the chart (subject to change)
The September movies are:
Please be aware that this is supposed to be as support for what the teachers provide, and therefore there are components missing from the daily routine.