Hello My Imaginary Friends,
This weekend was Can-Con. If you’ve read this blog for any amount of time you’ll know that we’re big fans.
- This Weekend is CAN-CON YAY! (2017-10-12)
- Can-Con (No Dragon Sightings) (2016-09-13)
- CAN-CON 2016 (2016-08-30)
- Reading Bites (2016-08-01)
- Can-Con Report 2015 (2015-11-03)
- Can-Con 2015 (2015-10-29)
- Can-Con loot (2014-10-14)
- Can-Con 2014 and Beyond (2014-10-07)
- Recommendation Tuesday – Can-Con (2014-09-30)
- Can-Con (2013-10-07)
- TARDIS Pictures with Can-Con Guests
It’s a fantastic convention for two reasons. The first being how attentive and open the organizers are and the second because of everyone who participates.
I spent more time chatting in the dealer’s room than attending panels this year. There are a few panels I wish I had been able to attend, but was either too burnt out or doing something else.
Highlights from Can-Con 2017
— Derek Newman-Stille (@DNewmanStille) October 15, 2017
- The Ottawa Writers community being awesome as usual
- Listening to Steven Erikson being interview by Black Gate
- My first signing session (didn’t sign anything but I was sitting next to S. M. Carrière, Steven Erikson, and Robert Sawyer, so I was in fantastic company.)
- Watching S. M. Carrière geek out about Steven Erikson
- The Renaissance reading that had a whole lot of people in it.
- Getting to Pitch Everdome to Kim-Mei Kirtland
- Having Kim-Mei Kirtland like my pitch for Everdome
- The Asexuality panel which was so full I had to tuck myself into a corner. It was really interesting and illuminating.
- The look of pure joy on an audience member when they learnt that Keladry (the Protector of the Small, not the Baby Dragon) was confirmed by Tamora Pierce to be Asexual.
- Watching Keladry walking around smiling at everyone
- Learning that Tanya Huff really likes our coffee
- Meeting people that I’ve only ever interacted with online
Can-Con, for me, is about basking in the love this community has for genre writing and stories. I’m still a fledgling author and I never feel like anyone is judging. They are supportive, loving, and so kind.
Thank you to everyone who was there!