Once menopause hits, a lot of changes start happening, and most of them are hormonal.
In case you don’t know, pretty much everything that goes on in your body is regulated by hormones, but especially your sex drive. For example, just a small change in testosterone (everyone has this, btw) can make your sex drive fluctuate drastically.
The North American Menopause Society is a great resource for people approaching menopause. It has a plethora of references, articles, and resources.
After reading through this website, some of the things that struck me are:
- yoga helps with a lot of the problems
- don’t be afraid to ask for a therapist (if you’re in Ottawa, Sue McGarvie has excellent reviews as a sex therapist)
- do Kegels daily – not only does this increase blood flow, but it helps to strengthen your pelvic floor (and this should be done by all adults at all ages!)
- lube is not a frivolity, but a necessity (again, for all ages)
- a lot of people are going through this – don’t be ashamed to ask for help
If you’re enjoying the Blush blogs, consider learning more with Blush: The Card Game from Renaissance Press.